It has been a while since I last posted, and it has seemed a lifetime in the living.
On September 16, 2010, my friend and co-worker, George N. Parks passed away very suddenly of a heart attack. Those who knew him are still reeling in shock, as it just doesn't seem possible that someone that vibrant and full of life can just be...gone.
I keep saying that George is a beautiful example of how one person can change the world - one of the primary comments you hear about him is how he changed the life of every person he came in contact with. He made you feel like you were the most important person he could give his attention to, and that you mattered - no matter how well or long you may have known him.
I had the pleasure of working with George on many occasions at the UMass-Amherst Fine Art Center, where I work as a Production Stagehand. I've babysat rehearsals for the Marching Band, worked the Multibands Pops concert for 8 years now, and multiple smaller concerts of sections of the Marching Band. I also worked with George on the UMass "Caring and Sharing" campaign, and watched him virtually single-handedly raise the money for the new band building currently under construction on the UMass-Amherst campus. He was an amazing, inspirational man, and he will be greatly missed - and his legacy will continue for generations.
I would also like to take a moment to acknowledge some other very special people at this time. The UMass Minuteman Marching Band - for their incredible dedication and courage in continuing to perform "with pride" as George would want them to. No one would have thought the less of them if they had not played at the game in Michigan on the 18th September - however, they not only played, they performed beautifully. About 1/2 hour ago I arrived home from the Multibands Concert, where I have never heard the band play with such heart. Multiple standing ovations.
And speaking of standing ovations - I was touched and thrilled that Thom Hannum, George's Assistant Band Director, received a standing ovation when he took the stage. It has fallen to Thom to step and lead in George's place through this challenging time. It is my belief that the band has held together so well and performed so admirably because of the example they have in the leadership of Thom Hannum. Thom is a gentle, humble man, who, like George Parks, puts one foot in front of the other and tries to do the next right thing. Thom has been nothing short of amazing these past few weeks, shouldering challenges that would crumble a lesser man. The Band is lucky to have him, and the UMass community owes him a debt of gratitude and I am grateful for the well-deserved ovations he received for his strength, grace, and dedication.
The Power and Class of New England - EYES WITH PRIDE!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment